S01 E07 – Sharon Gaetz – Leadership from a Political Mirror
Summary of the Episode1. How to deal with people’s attitude
2. How women can be inspirational
3. How do you run a successful campaign when its your first time
4. Is leadership a popularity contest?
5. How do strong leaders deal with criticism
6. Do you think great leaders go to sleep?
7. How to manage work life balance?
Advice:Play nicely while you are in the sandbox
Keep your hand off the piggy bag, that money does not belong to you
Keep your zipper up and be true to the person you love
Sharon is the mayor and the CEO of the city of Chilliwack. I met Sharon 8 years ago and I was struck by her incredible personality, commitment and humbleness. She is a very powerful lady and an incredible example of a person who exercise leadership for the best of the people. She is a politician, but our talk today has nothing to do with politics but rather meaningful leadership.
She was awarded the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for community service and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for contributions made to the community and to all of Canada
In her spare time, Sharon enjoys walking, rollerblading, swimming, hiking and listening to good music. Strong Starbucks coffee and red wine are two of her guilty pleasures. She is a retired minister and family counselor. Ladies and gentlemen, here we go with Mayor Sharon.
Detailed BioMayor Sharon Gaetz has been serving the Chilliwack community since December 2, 1996 – first as a Councillor (12 years), and then since December 2008 as Mayor. Besides being the Chief Executive Officer of the City of Chilliwack,
Mayor Gaetz also serves her community by being a member of the:
- Chilliwack Economic Partners Corporation (CEPCO), Liaison
- Fraser Valley Regional District Board Chair
- Regional Corporate Services Committee
- Municipal Finance Authority, Director
- Former Chair of the Fraser Valley Regional Hospital District Board
- Emergency Executive Committee
- Chilliwack Hospice Society Honourary Board Member
- Honourary Member of the Rotary Club of Chilliwack
- Honourary Member of the Rotary Club of Chilliwack/Fraser
- Honourary Membership in the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #4
- Honourary President of the Chilliwack and District Agricultural Society
- Is married to her childhood sweetheart, Jim, and recently celebrated their 40th Anniversary
- Served as the President of the Lower Mainland Local Government Association (LMLGA)
- Served 8 years on the Union of BC Municipalities Executive (UBCM) as Director at Large
- Served as Vice President of Local Government Leadership Academy
- Former Chair of the Fraser Valley Regional Library Board
- Was awarded the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for community service and the Queen’s
- Received Paul Harris Fellow Award – 2013
- Resolutions Committee, served as Chair Environment Committee